Tuesday, December 8, 2009

5minutes for books review


December 5, 2009

What a Christmas!

Written by Carrie
I was asked if I'd be interested in readingWhat A Christmas! which is a Christmas story set in World War II. Um, yes please? I figured that it would be hard for me NOT to like it and my suspicions were correct.
Clementine Rose Miles is a ten year old girl who lives during World War II. Surrounded by family, who all gathered around her Grandmother's property during the Great Depression, most of the antics in this book involve life with a large, connected family. Her closest playmates are her twin boy cousins. Her sister, Linda, is 'going through a stage' (in which she is becoming a teenager). Clementine is big on drinking coffee, learning new vocabulary words, and getting in and out of trouble. Although this book was written in 2007, I was consistently surprised at how well this book was written from a historical standpoint. I don't mean to sound surprised and I'm not referencing historical events and timelines. Authoress B.R. Roberts simply "speaks" as anyone in 1944 would have spoken, which makes this story very believable. In other words, this book is not always politically correct. It isn't a 2009 2007 story about people who lived in 1944. It's a 1944 story written in the same time period and I, personally, found this rather refreshing as it allowed me to be transported back to the appropriate time period and really engage with the characters.
Clementine's family experiences "typical" World War II concerns, including having a close relation off fighting in the war. This is a story of faith and there is a redemption aspect to it. It is a story of a family who experiences struggles, a young girl who is finding her way in a world at war and who is still very much just a "kid at heart." All the while, Robert's writing style is amusing and I found myself chuckling as I read along.
If you find yourself interested in this story, you'll be happy to note that there is a sequel called Not in My Wildest Dreams in which we find young Clementine all grown up and falling in love.
This is a fun Christmas read and if you find yourself with an opportunity to read it, I think you'll find it enjoyable.
Carrie comes by her book obsession honestly, having descended from a long line of bibliophiles. She blogs about books regularly at Reading to Know andReading My Library.
This review, and others from this week, are linked up to Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books. Link up your own review, or see what others around the blogosphere have reviewed this week.
Find out about our relationships with publishers and affiliate networks in ourfull disclosure statement.
Filed under CarrieChristianFiction by Carrie

Please add this post to your favorite social bookmarking or ranking site.

add to kirtsy
Permalink Print Comment

Trackback URI

1 Comments on What a Christmas! »

December 5, 2009

#1 - Trudy @ 8:16 pm

This sounds like a really fun book to read. I like reading books that are aimed at children. Sometimes they are very refreshing. I will make a point of looking for these books.

Leave a Comment





Subscribe without commenting
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive